As we approach MISTA 2013 two of MISTA’s greatest supporters have sadly passed away.
Peter Brucker (24th July 2013) has been on both the Program Committee and has served on the International Advisory since MISTA started in 2003. He has also published widely in MISTA, and its special issues. This is a list of his MISTA contributions:
- Brucker, P The Job-Shop Problem: Old and New Challenges. In proceedings of the 3rd Multidisciplinary International Conference on Scheduling : Theory and Applications (MISTA 2007), 28 -31 August 2007, Paris, France, pages 15-22, 2007.
- Brucker, P and Kampmeyer, T Tabu Search Algorithms For Cyclic Machine Scheduling Problems with blocking. In proceedings of the 2nd Multidisciplinary International Conference on Scheduling : Theory and Applications (MISTA 2005), 18 -21 July 2005, New York, USA, pages 107-108, 2005.
- Brucker, P and Kampmeyer, T Cyclic job shop scheduling problems with blocking. Annals of Operations Research, 159 (1): 161-181, 2008.
- Brucker, P; Qu, R; Burke, E and Post, G A Decomposition, Construction And Post-processing Approach For Nurse Rostering. In proceedings of the 2nd Multidisciplinary International Conference on Scheduling : Theory and Applications (MISTA 2005), 18 -21 July 2005, New York, USA, pages 397-406, 2005.
At MISTA 2005 (New York), he also presented a tutorial entitled Shop Scheduling with Blocking.
Peter was also scheduled to be a plenary speaker at MISTA 2013.
Of course, this only scratches the surface of his long and distinguished academic career and he will be greatly missed both professionally and personally.
Arne Løkketangen (10th June 2013) has served on the MISTA Program Committee since the conference series started in 2003. He has also contributed to MISTA 2009, with the following paper:
- Løkketangen, A; Haugen, K; Lanquepin, G and Olstad, A Using a set of fixed prices when solving Profit Maximization Capacitated Lot-Size Problems (PCLSP). Proceedings of the 4th Multidisciplinary International Scheduling Conference: Theory and Applications (MISTA 2009), 10-12 Aug 2009, Dublin, Ireland, pages 821-822, 2009.
Arne had interests in meta-heuristic, combinatorial optimisation; with a particular focus on transportation. He was well respected in those communities, with a publication record that underpins that well deserved respect. The community will miss his scientific contributions, as well as his many other contributions.
On behalf of the MISTA community the Conference Chairs would like to express our gratitude to the many contributions that both Peter and Arne made to our community. Both will remain in our thoughts, especially during MISTA 2013, which is so close the passing of these two colleagues.